How to Join Your Telehealth Session
This guide will tell you everything you need to know about Telehealth and how to join sessions using Doxy.Me, the tool we use at our practice to connect with you online.
What is Doxy.me?
Doxy.me is a Telehealth platform that Alliance Counseling Associates uses to connect with you securely for online counseling sessions. Doxy.me is HIPAA secure to protect your privacy.
What equipment do I need to join a session?
You will need the following to join a Telehealth (online therapy) session with your provider:
- A computer, tablet, or phone (no applications or software download needed)
- An external or integrated webcam
- An external or integrated microphone
- An internet connection with a bandwidth of at least 10 MBPS. We recommend an Ethernet cable over wifi when possible to ensure you receive the best possible connection through your internet provider but it’s not required. You can check your internet speed here: speedtest.net
- Shut down all background applications to ensure Telehealth receives the majority of your internet’s bandwidth, especially applications that use your camera
Do I need a specific internet browser?
Doxy.me allows for the following browsers:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
If you’re using an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, etc.), you’ll need version 11 or newer
How do I join our session?
It’s as easy as clicking the unique link shared by your provider. You can also join by clicking “enter waiting room” on Alliance’s Walk-In Clinic page or on your specific counselor’s waiting room on the Alliance Connect Therapists page. There are no apps to download.
Join your session from a mobile phone, tablet, or computer. Just click, enter your name, and Join.
How should I prepare for my online session?
Here are some helpful tips and reminders:
- We will need to take a picture or upload a copy of your drivers license
- We will need to take a picture or upload a copy of the front and back of your insurance card unless you’re paying privately
- Be in a space where you have good lighting. Having the lighting in front of you instead of behind you creates less shadow.
- Be in a space that’s private where you can ensure you’re confidentiality
- Be in a space that’s safe and don’t log into your session if you’re driving
- Have a pair of headphones to help drown out distractions or other sounds. This is not required, but it is helpful.